Neurodiversity Celebration Week 2023
Neurodiversity Celebration Week is a chance to explore, understand and discuss neurodiversity.
An annual campaign, Neurodiversity Celebration Week aims to celebrate different minds. It’s also a chance to raise awareness and increase understanding of what neurodiversity really means.
In this blog, we’ll look specifically at how you can use your school’s visual environment to create an inclusive and safe space for all pupils.
Visual Wall Art is a wonderful way to breathe new life into your school buildings. At the same time, you can also improve wellbeing, raise aspirations and create a positive learning environment.
What is neurodiversity?
People who are neurodiverse experience the world in a different way to the majority of the population.
This means that they might;
- think about things in a unique way
- express themselves differently to other people
- engage in behaviours that some people might see as ‘alternative’ to the norm
Common conditions associated with neurodiversity are ADHD, Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, and Tourette’s syndrome.
But neurodiverse people don’t have a ‘condition’ and don’t always need a formal diagnosis. They simply see things differently to most other people.
Often, this means they’re able to solve problems creatively and create unique opportunities that other people might miss.
Your visual environment
Supporting neurodiverse students to recognise their talents (which can be amazing), and develop strategies to help them overcome obstacles, is important part of their education in school.
Your school’s corridors, stairwells, outdoor areas and communal spaces can all play a part in this and make your building a more accessible place for your neurodiverse students.
At Promote Your School, we can design bespoke Wall Art for your school and your pupils’ needs. We’ll tailor the images and messaging to your objectives.
- Share positive and uplifting messages to boost morale
- Use images that represent people from all backgrounds and abilities
- Create calm spaces where pupils can seek refuge from noise, ground themselves when feeling anxious and find distraction from stressful moments
- Make busy communal areas feel comforting rather overwhelming.
- Use simple signage and engaging wayfinding tools to make your school easy to navigate
- Celebrate the achievements of neurodiverse people from around the world
- Share the message that being unique is positive!
Bespoke design for schools
Our in-house design team creates every Wall Art project from scratch. And they tailor the designs to each school’s unique preferences and goals.
We offer a consultative service that includes advice, design, print, installation and aftersales support. Even if you’re not sure what you’re looking for in terms of design, simply share your goal and we’ll help you achieve it through our beautiful bespoke designs.
Need some inspiration?
Check out recent case studies on our website.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to arrange a free, no obligation site visit from a regional consultant.
Before you go…
Our Ideas Book (below) is packed with tips on how to maximise your available space and budget.