School Improvement ideas for SEND Schools
Here are a few school improvement ideas for SEND Schools.
These school improvement ideas for SEND Schools will help you create a calm, positive, inclusive learning environment that is easy to navigate.
We’re sharing these ideas for SEND Schools in particular, but they can be implemented in any type of school.
Time for calm
It’s important for SEND pupils to have access to calm areas within their school.
These are places where they can seek refuge from noise, escape their worries, and minimise stress levels during the school day.
You can designate multiple areas of your school building for this purpose;
- Many Primary Schools have a calm corner in each classroom. This might be a tent where pupils can sit if they feel worried or overstimulated, or a little nook with beanbags and cushions. It’s important that any decor in these areas features a muted colour palette and serene imagery.
- Sensory rooms give pupils the freedom to explore their surroundings using their inate curiosity and senses. Use immersive visual displays on the walls of your sensory room to create an oasis of calm escapism.
- Your school library can double up as a calm space for SEND pupils (or any pupils who need it). Many libraries include soft seating and cosy reading spaces. So these areas work well for pupils who need a bit of time out.
- SEND Schools often have multiple spaces dedicated to pupils with anxiety disorders, autism, SLCN or sensory processing difficulties. You can refresh these areas with visual Wall Art that features calm, inspiring and inclusive images.
Support pupils with special educational needs, autism, dyspraxia or anxiety disorders by including visual wayfinding prompts on your walls;
- colour code areas so pupils can recognise where they are, at a glance.
- include the names of departments in fun, colourful text that’s easy to see.
- add directional arrows to your walls to usher pupils along the corridor in the right direction.
Natural wayfinding prompts can be very comforting for pupils who struggle to find their way around school, or feel overwhelmed in new environments.
It can also encourage a calm and steady flow of traffic along your corridors, keeping everyone safe as they travel between lessons.
Inspire and motivate
It’s important that all children see aspirational role models they can relate to. That’s why our Wall Art features images that show people from all backgrounds and abilities.
Carefully selected images and phrases can motivate and uplift your pupils in a powerful way.
You can use your school’s walls to feature sports people, historians, philosophers, inventors, celebrities or political figures. Role models come in various forms!
Refresh unsightly communal areas
When considering school improvement ideas, you don’t need to limit yourself to classrooms and corridors.
In fact, outdoor areas, stairwells and canteens are all ideal spaces to help you achieve your aspirations as a SEND School.
- Outdoors – encourage positive habits, share your values or bring nature to your walls
- Stairwells – create an immersive stairwell to inspire calm in an area of high footfall
- Canteens – promote healthy choices or turn to nature for relaxing mealtimes
School improvement ideas for SEND Schools
If you’d like to find out more about how Wall Art can transform your school, get in touch!
We work with all types of schools around the world. And we create every design in-house from our studio in London. Our service also includes print and installation, backed by brilliant customer support.
Contact us to find out how to get started.